Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What's in a name?

D2, Pebbles, Jedi, Orange, Heart, Bubbles, Blessie, Rapunzel, Humber and Choco are just a few of the interesting names that I've come across in our social circle. It always makes me wonder how parents agreed on them? Maybe they have significant meaning...? (I have yet to come across anyone called 'Mango, Banana or Darthvader though!!)

Choosing a name for expectant parents is always an exciting preparation time for any new family and made more interesting for us with our different backgrounds. I loved trying different combinations of names, merging our distinct cultures and naming patterns although it took some time to agree on names especially as we had to come up with two sets of boys names for our twins.

First Names: First Things First!!
My late mother in law chose to name all her sons with the same initial 'R': Reneboy, Rodolfo, Redendo and Ramil.....some of my inlaws then followed suit in the naming of the second generation: Richard, Ryan, Ruther, Ralph and Ranier are just some of my nephews......
Our family surname begins with R too so naming twins* with RR initials would be a bit excessive in my opinion! ( I hope she doesn't mind that I didn't continue the tradition with our kids!??)

* Actually its common to name twins with the same first initial: Katie and Kadie, Diether and Dexter, Windie and Winsel (just a few of the twin sets I know which is really confusing when they are identical twins!)

Some parents here combine their first names to invent a new unique name. Eg. Mark and Sharron could give you the new name of 'Marron'. I tried it for fun but couldn't imagine seriously calling our boys any of the combinations. Double barrel names have become more popular: Kayla May, Amy-Grace, Lucy-Lyn, which are often used as names of at the top of jeepneys.

Middle Names:
In the Philippines your middle name on your birth certificate is automatically your Mothers maiden name.....Funnily enough when I have to fill out official paperwork I have to write out 5 names: 1) First Name 2) English middle name 3) My Mothers maiden name (Philippines middle name) 4) My maiden name (because I chose to keep it) 5) My married surname!!! Its a bit of a squeeze all onto one line and doesn't match the names on my passport or bank cards!

Nicknames:
Once you've decided on first or double barrel names, then there is the task of deciding on how you can uniquely spell them - It amazes me how many different ways people come up with! Amy becomes: Aymi, Eyme, Iymeeh etc..... You also need to decide on a 'nickname'. I had always thought that nicknames just evolve over time but I was introduced to another choice that has to be made before you give birth....

They can be a unique derivative: E.g. Kayla May can be combined together to form 'Kym' or you can choose part of a name and repeat it: Jun Jun, Ann Ann, Mai-Mai etc...OR you can invent a whole different name altogether!!!! I don't know our neighbours real name but everyone calls him 'DingDong' - my sons friend is called Katherine but is known to all as 'Lalang'.

So what is in a name?....well, much more than just your average 'Tom, Dick or Harry' thats for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment