Saturday, July 4, 2009

Halo Halo Twins

'Halo Halo' - Not a greeting from a friendly London policeman, but the famous Filipino dessert.

A young, green coconut shell filled with crushed ice, milk, cornflakes, sweetcorn, gelatine, jackfruit, some sweet potatoe, ube, leche flan, a scoop of icecream...and whatever else the kitchen can find.

My husband ordered it on our first date as his strategy for drawing out the time to spend with me. I guess it worked because I wasn't accustomed to the sweetcorn and icecream combination* so it took a while to finish. A perfect name translated 'Mix Mix' - which I've also adopted to describe our kids. A kaleidoscope of skin shades and traits - a bit of this and that thrown together and what do you get?

'Are they twins?'; the question that meets us everytime we go out together to buy groceries. Two boys with not much else in common except their birthday, one asian caramel choco-latte, the other caucasian vanilla ice-cream....Same recipie but different flavours, and now a little milky sister has followed......Halo Halo kids, growing up with a 'mix mix' of language, backgrounds, cultures and world views. West meets East......East meets West......
Toast, marmite and a cup of tea or rice and tocino for breakfast?

* I have now acquired more of an appreciation for the pick and mix flavours thrown together (although I make sure that my order doesn't contain sweetcorn - somehow watching the yellow kernels bob around in purple icecream still doesn't appeal to my palette!)

No comments:

Post a Comment